For more than a decade, Brendan has been litigating complex and high-stakes insurance coverage, construction, consumer protection, personal injury, and business matters. Brendan has a particularly deep understanding of the insurance industry. Prior to law school Brendan worked for Safeco Insurance Company as a property and casualty agent. During law school he worked in Safeco’s in-house legal department. After law school Brendan climbed the ranks and became a partner at the international law firm Cozen O’Connor, which is widely considered the “go to” law firm for the insurance industry. There he represented the world’s largest insurance companies in their most complex and high-stakes matters. Brendan now exclusively represents policyholders rather than insurance companies.
Brendan is proud of the strong reputation he has built in the legal community. In 2016, the American Bar Association (ABA) named Brendan among the top 40 lawyers in the United States under the age of 40. Brendan has also been named a fellow of the American Bar Foundation (ABF), which is an honorary society and independent research institute whose membership is limited to the top 1 percent of lawyers admitted to practice in the United States. Brendan is also a fellow of the Construction Lawyers Society of America (CLSA), whose membership is limited to the top 1,200 construction lawyers in the United States. Brendan’s recognition as a fellow in the CLSA stems from his significant involvement in many of the largest construction claims in the Pacific Northwest. Brendan has also been named a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers and Seattle Met magazines each year since 2012.
Brendan is one of the few policyholder lawyers in the United States to hold the Certified Litigation Management Professional (CLMP) designation from Loyola University School of Law in Chicago. The CLMP designation is the insurance industry’s certification program for insurance company claims managers and their counsel. Brendan is also the former president of the Washington chapter for the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (the CLM), which is the largest professional association in the insurance industry with more than 35,000 members. Brendan is also a former member of the CLM’s national construction committee.
Brendan is regularly invited to speak at regional and national conferences on topics involving complex insurance claims, construction, and ethics. Brendan has been published by Litigation Management, Construction Today, and Business Insurance magazines. He was also a contributing author to the Washington Real Property Deskbook series on environmental regulation.
Brendan also has an active pro bono legal practice. In his pro bono work he has represented refugees in administrative proceedings before the U.S. Department of State. The Washington State Supreme Court nominated Brendan in 2014, 2015, and 2016 to their Pro Bono Publico Honor Roll for his contributions to public service. The International Refugee Assistance Project, which is the nation's leading refugee assistance organization, commended Brendan in 2014 and 2015 for his work in international refugee rights.
Brendan attended the University of Washington and Gonzaga University School of Law, where he graduated cum laude. While attending law school he received the CALI Excellence for the Future Award in both insurance law and constitutional law. He was the technical editor for the Gonzaga Journal of International Law. Brendan was also an academic researcher in intellectual property rights.
Toogle Accordion State
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Former Executive Chair of the Claims Litigation Management Alliance, National Construction Committee
- Former President of the Claims Litigation Management Alliance, Washington Chapter
- Member of the Washington Bar Association
- Member of the Oregon Bar Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
Publications & Presentations
- Co-Author, “Don’t Overlook Building Information Modeling in Construction Defect Litigation”, Litigation Management Magazine, October 2015 (Co-authored with Carrie Ciliberto, Senior Counsel for AGC)
- Author, “Mind the Gaps in General Liability Coverage for Construction Companies Operating in Multiple States”, Business Insurance Magazine, March 2014
- Author, “That’s a Wrap”, Construction Today Magazine, March 2012
- Contributing Author, Real Property Deskbook series, Environmental Regulation, Chapter 17 on Insurance Coverage for Environmental Clean-ups, 4th Edition, 2013
- Also published several other publications regarding insurance coverage, construction, and ethics
- Speaker, GTTC Insurance Recovery Seminar, Covenant Judgments, December 2021, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, Propel Insurance, Lunch and Learn, Advertising Injury Coverage, October 2021, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, Lockton Insurance, Lockton Law Days, Modern Pollution Insurance Specialty Policies, October 2021, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, Washington Autism Alliance, Health Insurance Appeals, August 2021, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, GTTC Insurance Recovery Seminar, The Wild West of Insurance - Insuring the Cannabis Industry, November 2020, Seattle, WA
- Moderator, Puget Sound Claims Managers Council, Education Luncheon, Roundtable Discussion of COVID-19 Insurance Coverage Issues, April 2020, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, Propel Insurance, Lunch and Learn, August 2019, Tacoma, WA
- Speaker, GTTC Insurance Recovery Seminar, Lightning Round -- Developments to Watch in Washington and Beyond, June 2019, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, National Alliance on Mental Illness, National Convention, How to Successfully Challenge an Insurance Company's Denial of Mental Health Benefits, June 2019, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, Puget Sound Claims Managers Council, Education Luncheon, Insurance Case Law Updates and Traps for the Unwary, May 2019, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, National Alliance on Mental Illness, The Search for the "Real" Dual Diagnosis Treatment and the Insurance to Pay for It, February 2019, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, RIMS Cyber Liability Symposium, Making the Cyber Insurance Claim, April 2018, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, Washington Defense Trial Lawyers, Annual Tort Law Update, The Highs of Marijuana Litigation, December 2017, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, West Coast Casualty Construction Defect Seminar, Pacific Northwest Construction Claims, May 2017, Anaheim, CA
- Speaker, Puget Sound Claims Managers Council, Education Luncheon, Reefer Madness: How Legal Marijuana Will Give Rise to the Next Wave of Mass Tort Litigation, May 2017, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, CLM National Construction Conference, Pacific Northwest Construction Claims, September 2016, San Diego, CA
- Speaker, Cozen O’Connor Client Seminar, Reefer Madness: How Legal Marijuana Will Give Rise to the Next Wave of Mass Tort Litigation, September 2016, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, Puget Sound Claims Managers Council, Educational Luncheon, Do Insurers Have a Duty to Settle Even When No Firm Demand Within Policy Limits Has Been Made?, March 2016, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, CLM National Construction and Insurance Conference, Wrap-up Insurance, November 2015, Atlanta, GA
- Speaker, Marine Insurance Association, Educational Luncheon, Ethics in the Insurance Industry, April 2015, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, ACI National Forum on Construction Claims, Wrap-up Insurance, February 2015, New York, NY
- Speaker, Northwest Insurance Coverage Association, Educational Luncheon, Ethics in the Insurance Industry, November 2014, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, Marine Insurance Association, Educational Luncheon, Ethics in the Insurance Industry, September 2014, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, CLM National Construction Conference, Enforcing Indemnity and Insurance Provisions in Construction Contracts, August 2014, Boston, MA
- Speaker, CLM National Conference, Ethics in the Insurance Industry, April 2014, Boca Raton, FL
- Speaker, CLM Educational Luncheon, Understanding Choice of Law, May 2013, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Association, Annual Conference, The Big Risk - Seattle's Big Dig, July 2012, Stevenson, WA
- Speaker, Puget Sound Adjuster’s Association, Annual Convention, The Big Risk - Seattle's Big Dig, March 2012, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, RIMS Winter Conference, The Big Risk - Seattle's Big Dig, February 2012, Seattle, WA
- Speaker, Cozen O’Connor Client Seminar, The Big Risk - Seattle's Big Dig, September 2011, Seattle, WA
- Also spoke at several other conferences and events regarding insurance coverage, construction, and ethics
- Washington State Bar
- Oregon State Bar
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- United States District Court, Oregon
I cherish my time outside the office. I love spending time with my wife and our three boys. If you get to know me personally, you will quickly learn that I am an avid “travel hacker.” That is, I am obsessed with accumulating miles and points in order to take my family on free trips around the world. I have traveled to nearly 40 countries. Needless to say, my kids have had many amazing adventures and have travelled to more places than many adults (they are spoiled brats!). I am also obsessed with skiing, cooking, and enjoying life. I used to be a college ski racer. I now spend every weekend in winter skiing with my boys. I also love to cook and will happily invite you to my house for a “cook off.” Besides that, I am obsessed with living the good life in the great Pacific Northwest!